October 24, 2011

What keeps you writing? What gets you started?

I know that right now I should be using my time to work towards finishing the book I would like to publish but when I think about it, I feel demotivated. And I'm not sure why. I know that there are people out there who would be interested in reading the book and I kind of have the whole story in my head. I also don't have any problems with typing up things: as you see, I have just written this blog post. So why can't I get myself to write on the book? Maybe because parts of it make me sad? Maybe because I'm afraid that I wouldn't find a publisher?
Why do I even stick to writing?

If you are a writer: How do you get yourself writing?
What get's you started? Do you only write when you are motivated or do you force yourself to write?
How do you treat stories that need to be written but make you sad?

1 comment:

  1. Hello again Kimmie, I know I'm not a writer but perhaps when the knowledge that what you have in your head will truly help some people a great deal then it might motivate you to overlook the cost of you feeling sad in the process of writing it.

    Plenty of writers write alot of books before their great success and the sooner you get it down the sooner some friends can check out the first draft and give you some feedback. I think it is a bit like quarrying precious rock. It needs alot more work before the finished product can be truly displayed and editors/publishers often get budding authors to trim things down e.t.c.

    To be honest this is just what comes to mind but I had a friend Ivan who paid for his own publishing and that was certainly an interesting read to say the least cos it was an autobiography.

    Cheers fergie.

    ReplyDelete